Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Today

So I'm settling back into this life. That's one thing about me, one thing that I know about myself, I can adjust to most anywhere or anything. At least so far. Maybe that's why it kind of freaked me out that I wasn't readjusting as quickly as I was expecting. But it's only been two weeks and I've already found my routine. I'll add things and lose some I'm sure, but for now I have this one down.

Fun fact - I learned that my English prof is from Dugger today. For those of you not from Indiana, that's only about an hour and a half south of where I live. I turned in my paper later (I had it ready at class but found some errors so I kept it to correct them, we had till 5pm) so I got a chance to talk to him and he remembered playing Riverton Parke in football when he was in high school, he knew of Southside CoC, and Camp Wabashi and such. It was fun to randomly find out about him after four years of going here.

In Seminar in World Missions: Women in Missions (long name, I know, I usually shorten it to women's missions or something similar) we've been talking about the concept of 'calling' and who should go and such. I don't really believe in the concept of calling - it gets more complicated than that of course but for the sake of the point I'm trying to make here, I'll not get off topic. Laurie Diles is our teacher and she is great. She was a missionary in the Czech Republic and her parents were missionaries in Brazil. Well, this is her mom's list of 'who should go.'
A prospective missionary will:
-be dedicated to God
-be a person of character
-be flexible
-be able to leave family and friends
-be adventurous
-be emotionally balanced
-have a good track record
-expect the BEST
I thought that it was interesting and definitely worth thinking about. She also talked about things like the PeaceCorps and how while it may seem like an interesting choice post-graduation, it's not really what one would expect. The idea had been suggested to me before and had been bouncing around in my head. I talked to Laurie about it after class more and some about the ChinaNow program and similar things. It was a good talk and we're going to continue it later, much as I'm going to have to continue this later :)

No comments: